I’ve got nothing big to report like Courtney of Eat Pray Love DC, who is now a weekly columnist for Women’s Running (Isn’t that fabulous news?), but I still wanted to take part in this week’s link up with the DC Trifecta Mar on the Run, Cynthia of You Signed Up for What, and the aforementioned Courtney.
Mostly what I thought when faced with writing this post was something an ex-boyfriend’s dad used to say: “Same old, same old.” Which truthfully is less boring than it sounds, at least to me.
1) I just found out that one of the people I’ll be traveling to England with is training for the fall Runner’s World Hat Trick (5k, 10k & half marathon). So I won’t be the only one in the group running instead of swimming in the English Channel. 🙂 Also joining our merry band of American mischief-makers is a massage therapist. I hope to pay her way in massages. Is that rude of me to want her to work on vacation?
2) UCAN Lemon-Lime electrolyte drink. This stuff is amazing. It really replenishes like nobody’s business. I don’t know why it’s so much better than even Nuun, which I love. I got to try it for the first time after the Fairfield Half Marathon, and I felt rejuvenated right away. It’s a little pricey, but worth it. I’m going to use it tomorrow during my 14-miler.
3) New to me: I’m getting obsessed with the BBC America TV series Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany is a completely amazing actress playing clones. The show is so engaging and well done that I don’t even think for a second about the fact that Maslany is not in fact in the same room with the other characters she plays.
I’ve been burning through the episodes and only have 4 left in season 2. They can’t come back for season 3 fast enough.
4) Starting next week I will be getting private yoga instruction once a week. The Y kept eliminating the classes I was taking, but they will allow us to use the warm yoga room when it’s available. This will be great for getting me the stretches I need to counterbalance all the pounding from running. I enjoy yoga, but it’s not something I’m good about doing on my own. I’m lucky my teacher was available and willing and affordable.
5) I soaked my legs in the Long Island Sound after my 8.5 mile run today. I’ve never done that before — I hate ice baths and most of the time I run errands after I run/workout. We’re at my mother-in-law’s this weekend and I just had to walk to her “backyard” to get a little saltwater healing. It felt good and I’ll probably do it tomorrow if it’s not thunderstorming outside.
Tonight we’re grilling out on the patio with friends. One of the ladies is swimming across the sound tomorrow while my husband and another lady kayaks alongside. I think these endurance swimmers make the rest of us seem sane. Who can bear being in the water that long? Weirdos.