Today I’m linking up with the DC Trifecta: Mar on the Run, Cynthia of You Signed Up for What, and Courtney of Eat Pray Love DC. Please check out their super fun blogs that make me wish I could be their (annoying) little tag-along fourth wheel.
This week’s theme is favorites. I almost ended up with all food things. Probably because I am hungry.
1) Breakfast. I never used to eat breakfast unless on vacation (think giant brunch-sized meals) until I started running and going to the gym regularly. I can’t eat too much before I work out, but I do get some decent fuel into me and feel all the better for it. Now I look forward to my banana and coffee and whatever else I am eating in the morning. Today it was with an iced gingerbread Clif Bar and a beet & sweet potato purée.
2) Running races with friends. Tomorrow I will be running a 5k with a friend of mine who is a sporadic runner. I’m excited to share my love of running and to not be racing. The race benefits Special Olympics and it was a good event last year. 5Ks are hard, so I’m happy to do this one at my recovery run pace. My hip thanks me for having to take this one slow.
3) My heating pad. We’ve become good friends since I started running. It’s also my lazy-assed way of warming up before a run, although that is changing with my new warm up/cool down routines. [Un-favorite: the ice pack. I swear at it. A lot.]
4) Cleaning out my closet. I wish I had a couple dumpsters in my driveway right now, one for donations and one for trash. I’d just overhaul my entire home, including things of my son’s that I’ve been asking him to organize/get rid of for the last six years.
I’ve been slowly working through my closet and donating things after I realized I couldn’t put away my clean clothes because there was too much in the closet. Part of the problem is that I haven’t changed much in size since high school, so I had a lot of things in good shape that still fit. But I finally got some sense to part with much of it. Goodbye high-waisted khakis from 1989.
5) Running while on vacation. I’ve got 3 trips coming up in the next month and a half, and I’m eager to get out on different routes. I’m most excited about the trip to England at the end of the August. I had such a great time running there last fall, and I can’t wait to do some of my marathon training by the English Channel. There’s one big hill I want to tackle that last year I only ran down. Ok, maybe I’m not too excited about running up it, but I will be once I’ve actually done it.