The news of the death of actor Cory Monteith reached me this morning via a subscriber email from TVline.
Although the autopsy has not yet been done, it is widely assumed his death was a drug overdose.
He was 31.
As an alcoholic and the mother of a kid who is dabbling in pot (and thinks I am overreacting to his use because “everyone does it”), this news made me gasp out loud. I’ve been a fan of Glee since its beginnings, and while Kurt & his dad have been my favorites on the show, I always thought Monteith’s portrayal of lunkhead Finn was believably done. I even saw the Glee crew perform live at Radio City Music Hall a few years back, also with my son who wasn’t too cool to hang out with mom then and was also a fan of the show at that time.
I know drug and alcohol abuse was part of Monteith’s past and I know how hard it is to stay clean. For him, as he’s told it, the problem started with the seemingly innocent use of marijuana and booze and graduated to much harder substances.
It’s tragic to see such a talented young man lose his battle.